Why Is Preventative Care Important for Children?
Preventative care includes all dental services that support your child’s oral health and promote strong, healthy teeth. It is important to seek preventative care rather than waiting for dental problems to arise and require treatment. Preventative care can address common issues such as cavities, plaque buildup, and gum diseases. While good oral hygiene practices at home are crucial, visiting the dentist for preventative care can further reduce the risk of extensive and expensive dental procedures. To get scheduled, call us at 858-755-1515 or Request an Appointment online.
What to Expect at Your Child’s Appointment
During your child’s appointment, the dentist will first examine their teeth for any potential issues, such as tooth decay, bite problems, or misalignment. Based on the examination, the dentist will make treatment recommendations. If there are no pressing issues, the dentist will proceed with preventative care services such as professional cleanings or screenings.
At Amazing Kids Dentistry & Orthodontics, we understand that children may feel anxious about visiting the dentist. That’s why we have a caring and friendly approach to make your child feel comfortable and welcomed. Our goal is to promote happy and healthy smiles for your child.
Preventative Treatment Options
Regular Dental Cleanings
- It is recommended to have a dental cleaning every 6 months . We use age-appropriate tools and techniques to remove plaque and tartar from the teeth and gums, helping to prevent cavities and gum disease. During the cleaning, we also educate children on proper oral hygiene practices and offer tips for maintaining healthy teeth and gums.
- Fluoride treatments are used to strengthen a child’s teeth and prevent the development of tooth decay, using a higher concentration of fluoride than what is typically found in regular toothpaste.
- This procedure includes putting a thin layer over the chewing surface of the teeth to prevent cavities from developing.
- Bondings can be used to repair minor damages to your child’s teeth. Your dentist will utilize a tooth-colored substance known as dental composite to fill in small chips and restore the tooth’s natural appearance. This technique is particularly useful for addressing minor cosmetic issues in a fast and cost-effective manner.
- Cleaning and removing bacteria and debris from the areas around the teeth to ensure the gums and surrounding bone are in good health. This process helps to lower the chances of inflammation or gum disease.
Oral Cancer Screenings
- Can detect early signs of oral cancer, increasing the chances of successful treatment.